We found this excellent Supply Chain Expert Community blog post we thought was worth sharing. Choosing a 3PL and Managing the Transition gives insight into selecting a 3PL, sharing information, establishing a vendor-managed inventory program and more.
The article give these key pieces of advice:
- View your logistics provider as a partner, rather than a vendor.
- Understand that the relationship has to be a “win” for both manufacturer and 3PL for it to work.
- Share information upfront – during implementation – rather than down the road.
- Be sure to establish a comprehensive Vendor Managed Inventory Program and utilize all relevant 3PL capabilities (for a list of G&D Integrated’s distribution services: click here).
- Establish a list of “success criteria” or “key performance indicators” for the partnership.
- Be sure not to neglect any internal or external entities that will be effected by the transition.